As anyone who knows me or reads my blog knows, I love food. I’ve eaten at hundreds of different restaurants, and tasted thousands of different dishes. So, after much eating and thinking, I’ve come up with a few ideas for some very innovative end awesome restaurants.
I have no intention of starting a restaurant of my own, but if anyone chooses to use one of these ideas to start one, all I ask is that you invite me in for a free meal 🙂
- Reverse – I’ve decided to call this one Reverse because I thinks things should be backwards. After an appetizer and an entrée, there never seems to be any room for dessert, and dessert is my favorite part of a meal! So, why not do dessert first? Dessert, followed by entrées, and then if you have room you could snack on an appetizer while chatting with your eating companions. I though about just calling it Dessert First, but Reverse sounds cooler 🙂
- Simple – Have you noticed that the more expensive the restaurant, the more impossible to pronounce the menu becomes? Why not have a restaurant that makes only the simplest of dishes, but with the best most out-of-this-world ingredients available? I’m thinking things like Macaroni and Cheese, but with some unique hand-made pasta dough, apple walnut smoked cheddar and a hint of truffle. Or maybe a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, but made on fresh potato bread, lightly toasted, with fresh ground peanut and almond butter, with passion fruit and pomegranate jelly…great, now my mouth is watering!
- Sweet – I have a killer sweet tooth, so why not a restaurant where all the dishes are sweet? You can do killer things with agave nectar, honey, fruits, cane sugar, etc. Think layers and gradients of different kinds of sweetness, from appetizer to entrée to dessert.
- Weekly – While rotating your menu each week is nothing new, what about rotating the menu each week around one common ingredient? Perhaps even use whatever the ingredient was the previous Sunday on Iron Chef America. Then, all week, everything on the menu is centered around that one ingredient. Truffle or butter week anybody?
- Assemble – What about a restaurant that, instead of a menu of dishes, gives you a menu of ingredients on hand? You pick the ingredients you like, and the chef offers you some possible dishes from those ingredients. Sort of like the show Chopped. Prices would be based on the number and type of ingredients selected.
So that’s it, my 5 amazing restaurant ideas. Pretty please, someone open one of these restaurants and invite me to eat there! (I apologize if any of these exist and I’m simply not aware. If that is the case, let me know where the offending restaurant is so I can go eat there 🙂 )
UPDATE: So I thought of another good idea for a restaurant today. I was at the bookstore, and I found a book about crème brûlée, and there was a section in there with savory versions which sounded amazing, using things like cheese, chorizo, mushrooms, etc. So, why not have a restaurant called Brûlée, that serves just awesome variations of crème brûlée. You could have a variety of appetizer, entrée and dessert versions…anywho, just one more idea 🙂